The immune system normally protects us from infection and disease. If it becomes overactive, the immune system can mistakenly attack healthy cells, resulting in autoimmune disorders that affect many parts of the body. The first signs of autoimmune disease often include: fatigue, muscle aches, low-grade fever and inflammation, which can cause pain, swelling, heat, and redness.
Treatment depends on the disease, but in most cases, reducing inflammation provides significant relief for autoimmune conditions.
Some of the conditions we treat that can cause autoimmune symptoms include:
For an overview of how our stem cell therapy can help treat autoimmune disorders, watch the video below with Dr. Marc Penn:
What can stem cell therapy do for autoimmune problems?
- Reduce inflammation
- Regulate immune responses
- Limit and remodel scarring
- Activate & recruit tissue specific cells
At Okyanos, we treat patients with autoimmune issues using stromal vascular fraction, or SVF, which comes from your own adipose (fat) tissue. Through a specialized, enzymatic process, the SVF is released from the fat tissue, providing a rich, more active mixture of stem cells. A general overview of the procedure is as follows:
- First, water-assisted fat harvesting is done to obtain a sufficient amount of adipose (fat) tissue.
- The unique blend of stem and regenerative cells which exist in the adipose tissue are then isolated and prepared for delivery using a proprietary closed/sterile, fully automated CGMP cell processing system. In about 65 minutes, the highly potent SVF is ready for direct injections and IV infusions.
- The SVF/stem cells are administered intravenously (IV) to address the systemic factors relating to autoimmune dysfunction.
- For accompanying joint pain, our expertly-trained orthopedists will perform direct injections under ultrasound or 2D-fluoroscopic guidance to ensure proper placement of the cells.
The Best Care & Safety
Treatment timeframes are usually three days and may vary slightly depending on the personalized plan:
- Day 1: Pre-operative session includes an office visit with the medical staff for a final detailed review of the patient’s treatment plan and answer any questions from the patient and family members.
- Day 2: The patient undergoes treatment and briefly rests in our comfortable facility before being escorted back to their hotel for the evening.
- Day 3: Post-operative session involves a brief physical at Okyanos and a discharge plan discussion. The physician reviews the post treatment recommendations, the follow up communication plan and clears the patient to go home.
For a more detailed understanding of what you can expect, watch our video series with Gretchen Dezelick, RN and Director of Clinical Operations.
For a detailed understanding of stem cell safety at Okyanos, watch our video below.