Adult stem cell therapy has emerged as a promising new option for patients who are living with debilitating neurological conditions. This innovative treatment utilizes adult stem cells (from your body fat) which have the potential to decrease inflammation, repair damaged tissue, facilitate better cell-to-cell communication and stimulate new blood vessel growth for better blood flow to the affected area(s). By harnessing the power of your body’s own natural repair mechanisms, it is possible to achieve a better quality of life.
Some of the neurological conditions we treat include:
What Stem Cell Therapy does for Neurologic Conditions
- Reduce inflammation
- Regulate immune responses
- Limit and remodel scarring
- Activate & recruit tissue specific cells
At Okyanos, we treat patients with autoimmune issues using stromal vascular fraction, or SVF, which comes from your own adipose (fat) tissue. Through a specialized, enzymatic process, the SVF is released from the fat tissue, providing a rich, more active mixture of stem cells. A general overview of the procedure is as follows:
- First, water-assisted fat harvesting is done to obtain a sufficient amount of adipose (fat) tissue.
- The unique blend of stem and regenerative cells which exist in the adipose tissue are then isolated and prepared for delivery using a proprietary, closed, sterile, fully automated CGMP cell processing system. In about 65 minutes, the highly potent SVF is ready for direct injections and IV infusions.
- Before stem and regenerative cell infusion begins, mannitol, which is a sugar, is administered to facilitate the cells crossing the blood brain barrier for a potentially more effective cell delivery.
- In accordance with the individualized treatment plan prepared for each patient, adult stem and regenerative cells are then delivered intravenously.
The Best Care & Safety
Treatment timeframes are usually three days and may vary slightly depending on the personalized plan:
- Day 1: Pre-operative session includes an office visit with the medical staff for a final detailed review of the patient’s treatment plan and answer any questions from the patient and family members.
- Day 2: The patient undergoes treatment and briefly rests in our comfortable facility before being escorted back to their hotel for the evening.
- Day 3: Post-operative session involves a brief physical at Okyanos and a discharge plan discussion. The physician reviews the post treatment recommendations, the follow up communication plan and clears the patient to go home.
For a more detailed understanding of what you can expect, watch our video series with Gretchen Dezelick, RN and Director of Clinical Operations:
For a detailed understanding of stem cell safety at Okyanos, watch our video below.