A growing problem in the United States and worldwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the number of new Lyme disease cases in the United States is increasing yearly at double-digit rates. Lyme disease is caused by the Borrelia bacteria, typically through a tick bite, and can result in fatigue, chronic pain and joint pain that doesn’t respond to conventional therapy.
While antibiotics can cure most cases of Lyme disease, patients might still have muscle or joint aches and nervous system symptoms. This is called post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome (PTLDS).
Stem Cell Therapy and Lyme Disease
Adult stem cells offer real hope to patients suffering from the symptoms of Lyme disease. More than one treatment of stem cell therapy may be needed to address post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome, as a preliminary body of data from Okyanos and other clinics suggest a single treatment may not be enough to prevent a return of symptoms. Okyanos offers regular pricing for a single IV treatment, and discounted pricing for those who elect a second treatment. Stem cell therapy may help:
- Reduce inflammation
- Minimize pain
- Regulate immune responses
- Aid in attacking the Borrelia bacteria
For an overview of how our stem cell therapy can help with Lyme disease, watch our video below.
Stem cell treatment at Okyanos is a minimally invasive, same-day, outpatient procedure. Though recovery varies, our protocols are designed and carried out with the goal of keeping downtime to a minimum. A general overview of the procedure is as follows:
- First, water-assisted fat harvesting is done to obtain a sufficient amount of adipose (fat) tissue.
- The unique blend of stem and regenerative cells that exist in adipose tissue are isolated and prepared for delivery using a proprietary, closed, sterile, fully automated cell processing system. In about 65 minutes, the highly potent SVF is ready for direct injections and IV infusions.
- The SVF/stem cells are administered intravenously (IV) to address the systemic factors relating to Lyme disease.
The Best Care & Safety
Treatment timeframes are usually three days and might vary depending on the personalized plan:
- Day 1: Pre-operative session includes an office visit with the medical staff for a detailed review of the patient’s treatment plan and an opportunity to discuss any questions from the patient and family members.
- Day 2: The patient undergoes treatment and briefly rests in our comfortable facility before being escorted back to the hotel for the evening.
- Day 3: Post-operative session involves a brief physical at Okyanos and a discharge plan discussion. The physician reviews the post treatment recommendations and communication plan, and clears the patient to go home.
For a more detailed understanding of what you can expect, watch our video series with Gretchen Dezelick, RN and Director of Clinical Operations:
For a detailed understanding of stem cell safety at Okyanos, watch our video below.