Chief Medical Officer | Interventional Cardiologist
Howard Walpole, MD, serves as the interventional cardiologist and chief medical officer at Okyanos Heart Institute. Dr. Walpole is a prominent U.S.-educated cardiologist. In his 25 years of practice, Dr. Walpole has done approximately 5,000 catheter-based interventions and 12,000 diagnostic catheterizations as well as myocardial biopsies.
Dr. Walpole received his bachelor of science degree from the University of Georgia, his M.D. from the Medical College of Georgia and his M.B.A. from the Goizueta School of Business, Emory University.
Previously, as the chief of cardiac sciences at Saint Thomas Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee, Dr. Walpole led the strategy and operations of Saint Thomas Cardiac Sciences division of Saint Thomas Hospital, a medical center with 3,300 employees and a service population of approximately two million across three states. This division included 37 cardiologists, five cardiac surgeons and nine cardiac anesthesiologists.
His leadership drove successes in various areas of cardiac care, including:
- Development of the therapeutic hypothermia protocol of St. Thomas Hospital and its 14 hospital member chest pain network
- Instituting documentation for physicians that improved the severity of illness index by 6.3% and lowered the risk of mortality index by 12.5%
- Developed the cardiac sciences leadership group to coordinate operations across inpatient and outpatient cardiac services.
- Taught EKG interpretation classes for the emergency department staff
His management expertise is based on extensive professional education and certification as well as engagement with multiple medical associations including the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions. His ACC participation includes:
- Board of Governors Chair-elect nominating committee
- “Evolving Models of Clinical Practice” – co-chair, 2009-2010
- “Cardiovascular Care Summit” – chair, 2012
- Board of trustees, 2012-2017
A long-term member of the American Heart Association, Dr. Walpole served 2 terms as the president of the Davidson County, Tennessee Chapter from 1996-1997 and 2009-2010.